Monday, March 11, 2019

Making This House a Home

Well guys... i'm a homeowner.

Actually, i've been a homeowner for like two weeks. This is just the first time I've sat down since then. Haha. But seriously.

We finally moved into our perfectly imperfect, first and (hopefully) forever home. Let me tell you something. If you haven't moved in awhile, you have NO idea how much stuff you have. Like seriously. HOW did this all fit into our apartment?

Thanks to extremely helpful parents, we moved everything in one weekend and somehow managed to start at least three major home improvement projects and finish none.

I'm currently sitting in what used to be the formal dining room, now my reading room. It's my favorite room in the house. Ever since we looked at the house I couldn't say enough how much I HATED this room. It has maroon carpet from the nineties and a ceiling fan with blades that are so tired they just kind of droop down towards the ground... kind of like they are frowning. It's really not aesthetically pleasing at all and is certainly not going to win any home decor awards.

But NOW... it's full of all of my very favorite things. When you walk into the "red room" you will see my bookshelf bursting with various nicknacks, young adult novels, self help books, love stories and mysteries, my antique desk from my Noni, a rustic bench Derick made for our apartment entry, a vintage upholstered chair that was a gift from my parents in high school, my salt rock lamp and a gallery wall consisting of my favorite quotes and catch phrases. It's so cozy that I can't get enough.

Below are the before and after pictures... and I have to say, the change is dramatic. Eventually we would love to extend the hardwood floors into this room, and it definitely needs a fresh coat of paint and a new light fixture... but for now it's quirky and perfectly homey.

Any paint colors you would suggest to compliment or tone down the red?


Before


After

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Day - Community Building

Today was indoor field day at our elementary school. To be honest, I'm ready for Spring Break... and was a little nervous some of my stu...