Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Just Enjoy It... Wisdom From Noni

I'm just sitting here, watching the finale of "The Bachelor" in my new house, with a glass of wine.

There are a million and one projects I should be doing right now, but instead i'm just choosing to enjoy this moment.

Exactly two weeks ago, I called my maternal grandma "Noni" on my way HOME from signing the papers that made me a first time homeowner. She and my "Papa" were the first ones I wanted to call, because i'm telling you, there is NO ONE more fun to share news with.

They of course congratulated Derick and I, and told us how proud they were. Then,  Noni reminded me "You've got your whole life to fix that house up. Don't forget to take a minute to enjoy it." I laughed. Of course I would take the time to enjoy it. I mean i'm not THAT ambitious. Until now apparently, because I haven't sat down before 11PM for the past two weeks. "You're going to be up until midnight, trying to finish a project and I just want you to remember that I told you this. It's not a race, so don't forget to slow down and live there."

I have thought of that simple advice SO many times over the past few weeks. Whenever I get sucked into the blackhole of a project, I remind myself that I don't have to do it all today.

I just want the house to be perfect and "Instagram ready.".. but the truth is, the front room is painted what we have nicknamed "puke pink" and has maroon carpet, the guest bathroom pedestal sink isn't connected to the floor, one kitchen wall is painted black, our master bathroom's shower head is about the height of Derick's chin, the stove almost started the house on fire the first time I tried to make a frozen pizza, closet doors are falling off their tracks left and right... and today when I removed the painters tape from the bathrooms upstairs, I realized i'll never be a professional and that we should have sprung for brand name.

That's okay though. We have accomplished a heck of a lot in the past two weeks. We are having our new, functional kitchen appliances delivered on Friday. My mom's expertise and Painted Fox decor has managed to make even the most fundamentally ugly rooms stylish... and even though I did it badly, I have painted four rooms, a hallway and a stairwell all in the past four days. For now, I will follow Noni's advice and enjoy this season rather than wishing it away for something better.

Historically, Noni gives the best advice... so I always listen.

My other favorite piece of her wisdom is about relationships "Don't do anything you don't want to do for the rest of your life..." So, I haven't shoveled or taken the garbage out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Day - Community Building

Today was indoor field day at our elementary school. To be honest, I'm ready for Spring Break... and was a little nervous some of my stu...