Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A Perfect Day - Community Building

Today was indoor field day at our elementary school. To be honest, I'm ready for Spring Break... and was a little nervous some of my students would have a hard time handling the lack of structure.

How wrong I was. Today was perfect and reminded me exactly why I love being a teacher. Thanks to our amazing gym teacher, the stations were structured and organized to a tee.

That wasn't what made it a perfect day though. What made it a perfect day, was my students. Through all of the stations they cheered each other on, encouraged each other's successes and built each other back up when they failed. They highfived and side hugged and smiled from ear to ear.

These are the school experiences that kids remember.

As I led my class from the obstacle course to the mindfulness station, I was followed by cheerful chatter and whispers of "what do you think we're going to do next?" When we sat down to meditate it was a race to see who could sit the closest to me, and as the guided meditation started, I felt a little head lean in to my shoulder. In that moment I couldn't imagine a more rewarding job. Those 23 humans all wanted to be right next to me, and I felt like the luckiest teacher on the planet.

Some days I show up to work a little tired, distracted, stressed or burnt out. I'm not perfect in any way, but somehow my students look past that and see only the best in me. Every day, I vow to look for the best in each and every one of them... just like they do for me.

Today was a good day. I can't wait for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Day - Community Building

Today was indoor field day at our elementary school. To be honest, I'm ready for Spring Break... and was a little nervous some of my stu...