Sunday, February 10, 2019

My (Lack Of A) Morning Routine

I'm thinking of trying this new thing where I have a morning routine.

A calm, unrushed, productive morning routine.

This feels like the adult thing to do. I know i'll love waking up in my new house and sitting at the breakfast table, looking out the patio door at my backyard while I drink my coffee. 

Right now... that would NOT be possible. Let's take a look at my current "morning routine".  Really, my morning routine is SO minimal... I have to include my night before routine to give it any merit. 

Current "NightBeforeRoutine"
Shower and brush wet hair to give it minimal hope of looking decent in the morning OR Put hair up in a scrunchie to preserve hair for 2nd (or 3rd) day. Set alarms for 5:00, 5:15, 6:00 and finally 6:50. Stay up WAY too late waiting for Derick to get home from his shift at work.
Current Morning Routine:
Hit snooze on first, second and third alarm. Lay in bed after 6:50 alarm for ten minutes, mentally planning outfit. Accidentally fall back asleep. Wake up at 7:05 in a complete panic thinking i've missed work. Sprint to the kitchen to start the coffee pot. Frantically throw on my outfit. Spend five horrifying minutes trying to make my hair presentable. Throw any leftovers I can find into my lunch bag. Realize I forgot makeup. Sit down at my super organized makeup vanity and apply only CC Cream and Mascara as fast as humanly possible. Grab purse and run out the door. Drive thirty minutes to work trying to cut off two minutes in any way possible. Arrive at school precisely one minute before i'm required to be there. Remember I left my coffee in the coffee pot. 

So, I think it's safe to say my current morning routine is the farthest from calm or unrushed. The most amazing part is... I do almost EXACTLY this same sequence of things every single morning. Why? I guess it's been working for me. However, I recently learned  (thanks to Rachel Hollis, and the three hours I spend cleaning and listening to Girl Wash Your Face on Audible today) that every successful blogger and personal development expert has a positive and productive morning routine. I'm gonna try my best to make a plan and stick to it. 

I'm still going to wash my hair and  pick out my clothes the night before... because really at this point I am NOT a morning person and don't see myself being super inspired to pick out my outfit before work. I am however going to try and make my morning a more positive and centering part of my day.  

NEW Ideal Morning Routine:
  • 5:00 hit snooze once... it brings me joy to wake up slowly, kay?
  • 5:10 get out of bed, drink a glass of water and start coffee maker
  • 5:15 do some sort of no pressure 20 minute workout... could be cardio or literally just stretching
  • 5:40 shower, put on a cozy robe, turn on happy music
  • 6:00 enjoy doing my hair and makeup... when I look good, I'm so much nicer
  • 6:45 drink a cup of coffee and eat something healthy
  • 7:00 pack a lunch i'll be excited to eat... and pour travel mug of coffee cuz i'm not perfect
  • 7:15 leave for work and listen to an audiobook on the way
I wonder if I can stick to it? I mean obviously I CAN. No one is stopping me. I wonder if I will.

With this schedule, I still won't be early for work but at least I won't be almost late. 

I'm going to start tomorrow. I promise to update you with my success, failure or adjustments to this "ideal" morning routine. 

Smile,
Sammie Lynn





2 comments:

  1. I used to be a little like you in the mornings, now I get up at 5.30 am and really treasure the quiet me time that gives me. It wasn't easy, but I would use Mel Robbin's technique and when the alarm went off I would just say 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then get up - there were a lot of zombie like mornings initially but now even if I don't set an alarm I wake up :)
    Good luck with claiming your mornings (it only took me 40 odd years!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! I need to do an update post soon. I haven't gotten in a consistent routine yet, but I LOVE the mornings I get up early. I need to get in a better habit for sure!

    ReplyDelete

A Perfect Day - Community Building

Today was indoor field day at our elementary school. To be honest, I'm ready for Spring Break... and was a little nervous some of my stu...